Somehow, I managed to contract the flu (or some variation of it) on the last day of Thanksgiving and spent all of last week sick. Thankfully, I’ve recovered and have some tips to share with you all in case you ever get sick in college.
- Drink TONS of water. Some guy in one of my classes said that I haven’t drank 2 gallons by the end of the day, I wasn’t drinking enough. I don’t know if I believe him, but following his sentiment of drinking tons of water will help your body flush out whatever is giving it trouble.
- SLEEP! I don’t mean the 6 hours of sleep that you usually get; try your best to get 8-9 hours of sleep, even if it means going to bed at 10 or 11. Your body will thank you in the morning.
- Take medicine. Cough medicine, Nyquil, Aleve — whatever you have on you, take it. Use your own judgement, and you should get better within a few days.
- Buy cough drops. If you didn’t bring any with you to college, thankfully they are available at Kilmer’s on the Livingston campus to be purchased with a meal swipes (only after 11 a.m. though).
- Drink soup. The good thing about college dining halls is that soup is always available. Take advantage of this offering.
- Drink tea with honey. Tea and honey are also always available at dining halls. Make yourself a cup, and let the concoction sooth your throat.
- Eat turmeric. If you didn’t know, turmeric is supposed to be some ancient spice that cures all ailments. Ask the staff at the dining halls for some turmeric, mix it with honey, and take it with a tablespoon. Let it sit in your throat for 10-15 minutes before washing it down with the tea.
- Tell your friends. If you have met decent people within the first four months of college, they will do their best to take care of you when you are sick.
- Tell your parents. I know college is supposed to be the time when you’re finally independent. However, nothing really makes me feel better when I’m sick like my family. The good thing about Rutgers is that a lot of people live close to home. If you are really feeling wonky, call your parents and have them bring down some home remedies. Or, you could just spend the weekend at home. Both achieve the same effect.
- Take it easy. You’re allowed to have a sick week where you just chill out in the dorm. Use this time to recover.
Best of luck,